Monday, August 27, 2012

What Is Success?

Photo credit: http://7toolstosuccess.com/
Someone recently asked me, "What does success look like for a Christian?" 


"Success is a journey, not a destination." - John Maxwell [Tweet This Now]


Before I offer my answer, let's look at how most people answer that question.
I would submit to you that most people define success by some material marker they have established in their mind: big house, expensive car, huge bank roll, healthy family or a upper-level management job. Don't hear me wrong. There's nothing wrong with those things, but I know many people who have those things and quite honestly, they are not happy people. So much so, that it confirms the notion that success is much more.

I am reminded of this story in the Bible:
Then he told them this story: "The farm of a certain rich man produced a terrific crop. He talked to himself: 'What can I do? My barn isn't big enough for this harvest.' Then he said, 'Here's what I'll do: I'll tear down my barns and build bigger ones. Then I'll gather in all my grain and goods, and I'll say to myself, Self, you've done well! You've got it made and can now retire. Take it easy and have the time of your life!'
"Just then God showed up and said, 'Fool! Tonight you die. And your barnful of goods—who gets it?'
"That's what happens when you fill your barn with Self and not with God." (Luke 12, The Message)
To define success by material things sure does limit your capacity for life. Once you achieve all of those things, then what? If you build your life on yourself, then that's the only place you can turn when there's nothing else to do. I like my definition because I can still be striving to be a success when I am 99 years old.

I define success as knowing and loving God on a personal level and then allowing that love to define and shape me into the person He wants me to be.

"Success is knowing and loving God and allowing that love to define and shape your life." [Tweet This Now]

And yet, so many people don't care to consider the God Dimension, make time to know Him personally or care anything about loving others.

What do YOU think? Do you agree? What is your definition of success? 

No comments:

Post a Comment