Monday, October 10, 2011

Are You Saving Just One Click?

If you read my post about being an IDEA guy, you'll remember that processing ideas is just how I function in life.  The strange facet of this attribute is that it's not intentional.  I just see "it" and the wheels start turning.

I recently had an experience where I was reading a E-newsletter and clicked on a link to go gather some information. When I followed the link, I landed on a webpage with another link to click by the same name. I clicked again to finally end up where I was hoping to be two clicks earlier. I thought to myself, "Why don't they paste the second link in place of the first link and save one click?"

In typical fashion, I crafted an email with my suggestion...end of story...take it or leave it...I'm good...I've shared my idea (got to keep casting.)


A few days later I was in a meeting with the team responsible for this E-newsletter. They were summarizing some new initiatives and mentioned they had made some changes to their newsletter. However, they were quick to add, "And yes, we have saved you one click." I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but I caught the playful jab that darted my way like a right cross from a heavy-weight boxer.

Back in the 90's someone produced a strong brand of motivational posters for people to purchase for their work environments. One of these somehow burned its message deep into my mind. It read:

"The difference between mediocre and magnificent is attention to details."

That's all I was going for with my suggestion. While it seems like a very minor thing, the ommision of that little detail says volumes about this organization. While it IS just "one click", it expresses that you've considered the smallest of details to help the end-user engage with your services. It says that you've gone the extra mile on my behalf. And as Zig Ziglar says, "There is not traffic jam on the extra mile."

The details set you apart, builds confidence and creates loyalty.

What minor detail should you address that will set you apart from others in your organization or brand? Don't ignore it. It won't go away. Go the extra mile!







No comments:

Post a Comment