Thursday, August 2, 2012

Guest Post: Logan Morris, Swallow the Big Frog First


Dad has challenged me with the task of writing a blog post for him this week while he is away. I am not much of a writer but I love to take a challenge. I am Logan, the middle child of my family, and I will be in the ninth grade this upcoming school year.


This past July, I was blessed with the opportunity to attend Student Leadership University in Orlando, Florida. I had a fantastic time, and I was surprised at how much I learned during this trip. We learned about various topics from many different speakers, including Jay Strack, Brent Crowe, Bruce Ashford, Chuck Allen, Elizabeth Dixon, and Pat Williams.

One of my favorite sessions was “Swallow the Big Frog First,” by Brent Crowe. This phrase was not new to me. My dad has told me this phrase multiple times before, but I learned at SLU how to put it to action.

The phrase actually has a story behind it about eating frogs! The point of the story is to explain the idea of doing the most difficult tasks first. After “swallowing the big frog first,” the tasks only get easier.

Brent shared with us three ways on how to do the most difficult tasks first. We begin by picking the right table or place to complete the task. Typically, this place is quiet and somewhere remote. It is best if this place is also somewhat clean.

Then we have to be consistent with our place and time. Lastly, only bring to the table what is needed to accomplish the task at hand. Many times phones, computers, or television distract us from our task, so removing them from our table or place prevent this distraction.

At the end of the session, we were given a rubber frog. We were challenged to put this frog somewhere we would see it everyday to remind us to get the most difficult tasks finished first. So what do you say? Let’s do the hard things first. 

No comments:

Post a Comment