Tuesday, February 1, 2011

When you just aren't sure...

I'm revisiting some books I've read in the past and with the help of my dandy assistant, we're updating my reference system.

This morning I'm thumbing through, "The Next Generation Leader" written by Andy Stanley.  I came across this little blurb that I thought was worth sharing. The chapter title is "Managing Your Uncertainty" and he speaks to leading in uncertain times.  You know...those times in life when you just aren't sure which option to choose.  Andy makes two great points:

1) We're seldom going to be 100% certain in our decisions.  In fact, he says, at best, we'll be 80% certain.  The danger is that while we are waiting for the other 20% to materialize, we're missing out on opportunities and time.
2) It's OK to be uncertain, but not OK to be unclear.  The people we lead (yes, we all lead someone...even if it's ourselves) need to see confidence in our eyes.  He offers a few phrases to file away for times of uncertainty:

  • "I don't know right now, but I am confident we can figure it out."
  • "I don't know. I have never done this before. But I think we are up for the challenge."
  • "I don't know, but with folks like you around, I am confident we will come up with a solution."
Good stuff to think about...

No comments:

Post a Comment