Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Are You Leveraging Your Life?



Like many people, I began 2012 looking ahead to what I wanted to accomplish this year. Not so much drafting resolutions, but more about what I wanted my life to look like in December. As any good planner would do, I sat down with a pen and paper to compose my master plan.  Then I just stared at the paper.

I had some objectives that I wanted to accomplish, but that wasn't what I was going for in this particular composition. I wanted something I could use as a filter for decision-making, planning and ambitions. A mantra to guide me toward a desired outcome. I still stared at the paper.

A few days later I was in my car listening to a talk by Gabe Lyons who wrote the book, "The Next Christians." I listened as he painted a picture of a generation of Christ-followers who want to engage culture and leverage the life God gave them to create change. The more I listened, the more the word "leverage" loomed in my mind.

Leverage. How could I leverage my life for good? But as a follower of Jesus Christ, my life is not my own, so leveraging it for MY good is really not the point. All that I do needs to be for His glory.

When the talk finished, I played it again. As I listened, and pondered the leverage angle, I grabbed a pen and scratch piece of paper and began crafting a sentence that would describe what I wanted my life to look like. After many different drafts and edits, this is where I landed:

I want to connect people to God and help them leverage their lives to honor Him.


I can use this to make decisions and know why I do what I am doing. So far, it's been effective. I'm not just wandering through 2012.


How about you? Do you know where you're going? Have you drafted a plan or statement that lays out a path for you to follow? It's not too late. Just grab a pen and paper and start the process. It may take a few days, but if you'll stay after it, I believe, the Lord will begin to paint the picture of your life for the coming months.


Not too long after this experience, I stumbled upon this TED Talk (12:00) that reinforces the notion that we all have to leverage our lives for something bigger than just our dreams and desires.  It's worth the time to watch:



Here's a link to The Next Christians:
 

Photo Source: http://www.flightglobal.com/blogs/future-proof/2009/05/

No comments:

Post a Comment