Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Is Your Life Fulfilling?





I'm going to show my age here, but there's an old Steven Curtis Chapman song entitled, "More To This Life."  The chorus of the song goes:

But there’s more to this life than living and dying,
More than just trying to make it through the day;
More to this life, more than these eyes alone can see,
And there’s more than this life alone can be.

You can listen to the entire song here (5:00)

Do you ever feel that way? I know I do. Just like the beauty queen who wants to end world hunger, we all want see our lives accomplish more than recycling oxygen into carbon dioxide.  Author, Paul David Tripp suggests that we can't help it. "There is woven inside each of us a desire for something more - a craving to be part of something bigger, greater and more profound than our relatively meaningless day-by-day existence."1



The difference is that there are those who pursue that desire and others who just think about it. The latter allow their fear of the opportunity to be greater than their fear of missing the opportunity. Life is too short to do that.


Here's a clip of Gabe Lyons, author of "The Next Christians", talking about how gifted the next generation of believers are and how they are not wasting time using it for God's glory (3:00):





This is a good place for me to ask a question: What is it that you would attempt for God if you knew you wouldn't fail? Grab some paper and a pen and just write it down. Research has shown that if we'll write this particular item down, we dramatically increase the odds of us fulfilling that task. I recently saw this happen in my own life as I moved an idea from my head to a sheet of paper. 

I've had this on my mind for quite a while, but could never get traction. I even knew if I would just write it down, I'd be moving forward. I kept making excuses as to why it wouldn't work. Finally, I grabbed a scratch sheet of paper and a pen and quickly jotted down the components of what I wanted to accomplish. From that moment, it was about 10 days later that I saw my idea come to fruition. You can see it HERE.



So, if there really is more to life than living and dying, what are you doing with yours?  Let's not waste another day.




1 A Quest For More: Living for Something Bigger than You
Photo Source: http://free-images-etc.rb-d.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment